Friday, February 24, 2012

Our Little Music Experiment

I am officially 17 weeks, which means my baby is starting to hear noises.
My sister, Lydia, was telling me about her friends mom one day.
Apparently, when the mom was pregnant with her son, she played the same song to him every day.
Then, when he was born and fussy, that song would calm him down.
Pretty neat, huh?
So I decided that I better give it a try!

At first I was overwhelmed by my iTunes library, 
but once I decided I wanted a hymn, the decision was easy.

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing- Sufjan Stevens

This is one of my favorite hymns, and my absolute favorite version of this hymn.
Plus, it was one of the songs in our wedding, so it is extra special.

I started my experiment last week.
Every night, Seth and I lay quietly in bed and listen as I rest my phone on my belly and let it play.
The first night we played the song was a pretty neat moment.
I felt so connected to Seth and our little babe.
We didn't have to say a single word to know that we were both laying there dreaming, wishing and wondering about our little one. 
When the song was over, Seth looked at me and whispered, 
"We picked the right song, babe. Play it again."
It has now become of one my favorite parts of the day with my wonderful little family.


1 comment:

  1. love it! that is so cute and a beautiful song. We didn't play a song while James was in the womb, but we sang Jesus loves you to him anytime he was upset as a baby and he still loves that song to comfort him today!

    ReplyDelete