Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Nettie Jean: 6 Weeks

6 weeks is like the magic week for babies. I've always heard that this is the week they start acting like a little person, and sure enough, Nettie has really started to come alive.

Since 4 weeks:

She is much more aware of her surroundings. She gets pretty distracted when eating, especially if the TV is on. We have started to cover her face slightly with a light blanket to keep her focused. She also gets distracted when trying to sleep. There's just too much to look at, that sleep is no longer as important apparently. She loves her bamboo blanket touching her face, so we just cover her eyes to help her sleep. Also, she has started to track objects. It's becoming so much fun to interact with her.

Nettie is always the most alert and calm right after eating. One morning I caught her interacting with Seth right after a feeding.

She is much more aware of her body. She waves her arms and kicks her legs constantly. She has figured out that she has a tongue-I catch her playing with it in her mouth quite often. It's adorable. She has also figured out she has hands-she wiggles her fingers around and occasionally looks at them. She smiles all the time, and responds to our voices and facial expressions. She coos-probably the cutest thing ever.

She is a great sleeper. She normally sleeps a good 6-7 hours at night, so she only needs to eat after dinner, and sometime in the morning between 4:30 and 6:30, depending on when she falls asleep the night before. She starts out in her bassinet, and sometimes ends up in her swing. We have found that she is a restless sleeper just like her mama, and the swing works wonders to relax her.

Feeding is still lots of work for us. My milk doesn't flow very fast, so she has to work really hard when she nurses, which frustrates her easily. This has resulted in lots of me pumping while Seth or I bottle feed her what I pump. This is where I get worn out. I can handle the occasional evening case of the fussies, or all the poopy diapers, but when feeding isn't the simple nurse-for-20-minutes it starts to take its toll on me.

After hearing Randy and Julie talk about Seth as a baby, we started to notice some similarities with Nettie. She has started to drool. Seth soaked through many a shirt back in his day, so we are preparing for the same with Nettie (but hoping it stays to a minimum!). Also, we know exactly when Nettie is going #2 just by the look on her face. We were told Seth was the exact same way as a baby. It fascinates me how little ones can be so similar to their parents!

It is still so incredible to me that what was once a little crush in high school has now become this cozy little family. And I love my cozy little family. 





 







No comments:

Post a Comment