Monday, January 24, 2011

Baking Bliss

This weekend was the start of my 'baking with Julia' journey.
I decided to begin with one of the most basic recipes-
Vanilla Pound Cake.
I had all the ingredients and equipment already in my kitchen.
It was an overall success. 
The most time consuming part was sifting the dry ingredients together-my sifter likes to takes its time, but it does wonderful work to the final product.
It sits beautifully on our kitchen counter in my new, super cheap cake stand.

Seth loves it warmed up and drizzled with honey, 
and I love it with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream alongside a mug of espresso.

I also tried out a recipe from my new Bon Appetit Desserts cookbook-
Red Velvet Cake with Fresh Raspberries and Blueberries.
It was for  my mom's birthday, and what a hit it was!

 
I recruited some help with the sifting this time.
 Happy birthday mother!

 I saved the pretty cake stand for the pretty cake.

 Fresh berries filling-the inside of a blueberry looks so odd!

 Mom gets the first slice.

See you next time I'm in the kitchen.








1 comment: