Saturday, August 27, 2011

Monthly Menu Planning

So, I finally got around to number one on my list of goals for this semester:
Monthly Menu Planning.
I got some ideas from an article by passionatehomemaking.com found here.
 There is also a link to a printable monthly menu planning template at the bottom of the article that I used.
 So I started off by going through these (my cookbooks).....
and these (my Cooking Light, Bon Apetit, and Real Simple magazines).
I wrote down page numbers from my cookbooks and tore out pages from my magazine that I know Seth and I will enjoy.
I finally consolidated all of the recipes and articles that I like from my magazines! 
I am getting tired of storing piles and piles of magazines in our cozy apartment.

 Next, I gave each night of the week a theme:
Mondays-Asian
Tuesdays-Soups/Main Dish Salads
Wednesdays-Mexican
Thursdays-American (I make this the only night we have red meat)
Friday-Fish
Saturday-Italian
Sunday-Leftovers/Free for all

Then I just found four recipes for each night, wrote down the books and the page numbers they are from, and accumulated a shopping list. Once we start a family, I would love to use Azure Standard for some pantry items and Community CROPS for our produce.
But before I get settled in on using those sources, I am planning on grocery shopping at the beginning of each month for all the dry goods I will need that month. Then I will buy meat weekly and produce as often as possible. I like buying my produce frequently, so it is as fresh as possible.
Since I work nights, I have found a lot of crock pot meals for my dinner themes. That way they will be ready for Seth when he gets home, since he gets home hours before I do.


I kept breakfasts and lunches very simple. Seth eats cereal for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch basically every day, so I don't have to plan for him. 

I like a little more variety for breakfast, so this I just pick one of these options (I normally have all of them on hand):
Bran Muffins
Green Smoothies
Oatmeal
Greek Yogurt with fresh/frozen berries
Egg whites with beans and cilantro

I normally find myself eating the same few things for lunch:
either leftovers, rice and beans, chicken dogs, or salads.

How do you like to plan your meals?

3 comments:

  1. You need to learn how to make Indian food. It's amazing! Being in India probably makes it taste much better, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a few recipes I want to try, but I'm sure nothing beats the real deal. You should bring back some spices or recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really great tips! I am NOT organized when it comes to meal planning. I really need to work on this.
    Just found your blog... it is so lovely! I love that wedding picture of the two of you in black and white! So gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete