Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Family Style

Tonight is the last night before my parents leave on a two-week trip to Israel.  
I decided this called for a great big family dinner-but at our apartment this time.
On the menu was my very first recipe from Mastering The Art Of French Cooking with Julia Child!
I started out with the first recipe in the book-potato and leek soup.
It was so simple!

Just slice up some leeks.

Dice up some peeled potatoes.

Add a few diced parsnips.

Toss in a pot with water and lots of sea salt.


Simmer for 45 minutes, mash until desired consistency, add a few tablespoons of butter, and correct the seasoning.

I accompanied the soup with a broiled sandwich I got from Iowa Girl Eats- Turkey Cheddar Pretzel Bread Sandwiches.
I piled on garlic peppered turkey and sharp cheddar cheese and let the broiler do the work.
They were such a hit!

We ate family style (I had to set out some soup condiments for the family-shredded cheese, green onions, parsley and bacon).

I will never get a perfect family picture (even when only half the family is present!).

We were so stuffed afterward, Seth even needed to 'lay it off.'

I am so excited for my parents to experience the Bible in a whole new way in Israel these next couple weeks.
I hope this was a great send-off and I know they would love it if we all kept them in our prayers as they travel!

1 comment:

  1. whoooa sweet! you need to tell me more about their trip! they are most definitely in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete